Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Our trip to Indiana

 We decided to go to Indiana to visit my Mom and Step dad.  I haven't been home in so many years.  Dalton was a baby the last time I went.  We talked to my parents on Sunday and they reminded us about my Mom's surgery she was going to have on Wednesday.  I started thinking that it would be a perfect time to go visit them because she would be off of work.  We started researching the miles and cost to fly.  It was way too much money to fly on such short notice and the miles didn't really appeal to us either.  We decided not to go because we had to drive and it's so far with such young kids.  We thought about it a few more days and decided to just do it.  We could take our time (somewhat).  So we decided on Wednesday and left on Saturday.  We had to scram to get ready.  We also had a family reunion to go to first.


 Not even half and hour into our trip, Preston gets car sick.  He doesn't say anything, he just started breathing hard.  Mel asked him if he needed to come up to the front for fresh air.  On his way, he throws up, turns around and throws up in the back of the van.  Yuck!  We spent half and hour cleaning it up.  I was so ready to turn around and go home because we had to smell that for two more days.  The kids pleaded with us to continue, so we did.  Addi had no problems pooping that day!  She had several blow outs that we had to stop and clean her up, too.  What a start!

We wanted to make it to Denver, Co the first day.  When we finally made it there at 10 pm, all the hotels in the area were sold out because of Frisbee golf.  Luckily, we found one not too far away.  By then the baby was ready to get out of the car.  She would only sleep 30 minutes at a time.  I had to get her out of her car seat and let her stretch and to feed her and to change her.  She really traveled pretty well considering that she had to be strapped into an uncomfortable chair for so long.

Day 2 was spent driving, driving and driving.

 We made it to Nauvoo, IL late on the second night.  My step dad found a hotel for us so we were guaranteed a room.  It was fun crossing the Mississippi River. We had to cross a huge bridge.  The kids were all asleep so they missed it.  In the morning, we took a tour on a horse drawn wagon of the town.  The kids thought that was fun.  We didn't spend a whole lot of time there, unfortunately.  I could spend all day there.  We did stop by the blacksmith to get our "prairie diamonds".



 I wish I could upload all my pictures, but I don't want to overload the blogspot.
 The Nauvoo temple.  The last time we were here, it was under construction.  I would love to go inside one day when we have more time.

 Next stop, Carthage Jail.  We took a quick tour of the jail and then had to leave again.  The kids were good and listened to the tour guide.  The spirit there was so strong.  I am glad we took the time to visit it.
 Very tiny jail cell.
This is the window the prophet fell out of.  I remember going on the tour when I was younger, they used to point out a spot of blood on the floor.  They don't do that anymore.  A family used to live in the jail for 30 years before the church bought it from them and restored it.  Everything was original, doors, stairs, and windows.  They had to bring in furniture and pieces from that era.

After we stopped for lunch it was more driving until we arrived in Indiana! 

The scenery was beautiful on our drive.  The Colorado River was raging and the mountains were beautiful.  When we got to Illinois and Indiana we were amazed at how green everything was.  Nobody had fences and the yards were huge!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sounds like a fun trip- other than the driving and puking and pooping! Gotta love being a mom! Mike & I want to go to Navoo someday.