Girl's camp was really awesome this year. I had a lot of anxiety going into girl's camp. One reason was because I was so nauseous with morning sickness I wanted to be in the comforts of my own home. The second reason was I didn't want what happened last year to happen again either to me or to another person. I knew the Lord wouldn't let another person die at girls' camp, especially two years in a row. I had Mel give the prayer before we left and he got emotional during it because he wanted his wife to come back alive.
All went well, though. The whole time the only injuries we had were a bee sting, a burn and a run in with a tree, (the last two things happened to the same person). I only felt sick one morning because I didn't have food in my belly right away. I didn't go on the hike that day. I rested and got some things done at camp that I needed to do. I felt better pretty quickly. I started feeling sick again as we were taking down camp on Saturday. I thank the Lord for blessing my body so I could do what I needed to do.
The girls made armor out of paper plates and painted them. That night we had an armor fashion show. The girl's really got into it. We were visited by "super heroes". Their message was to pray, read our scriptures and write in our journals. Our stake camp director gave a very inspiring message to us the first night. She knew how to bring the spirit as well as humor.
Thursday, was the hike. Skits in the evening as well as our stake presidency talking to us, then we headed to the meadow for tree singing. It sounds weird, but it is pretty cool. Each ward takes a turn singing a song while their flashlights are on. So only one section is lit up. At the end, one tree was lit up with Christmas lights and it was so bright. It was so quiet all around. There was a really neat feeling that night.
Friday we had a "war in heaven" and then first aid certifications. Then we got to do the zip line (which was new this year). Every girl had so much fun. Even the most scared tried it and enjoyed it. We were lucky to have "showers" today! They were converted outhouses with pipes installed. I tried one out and my shower never got warm. It was so cold. Friday nights are the most special. Our Bishopric cooked us dinner and then we had our testimony meeting. We waited around for it to start because our men needed to help take things down (like the showers, and the stake stuff). We did our camp awards and cleaned up camp a little bit. It was hard to get the girls to help clean up. Just like my kids.
I asked the girls to say one of their most memorable moments at camp if they didn't want to bare their testimony. Everyone did take a turn. The younger girls just bawled their eyes out. It was a really special night. Some of our girls don't come to church very often, so hopefully they felt the spirit and will want to come more. Mel came and spent the night with us. I was so excited to see him again. He was supposed to be there by 3 but didn't make it until 7. I wasn't going to start worrying until 5 (I know how things go for him at work sometimes). I was able to get a hold of him, so I didn't have to worry anymore.
The next morning it was time to pack up and leave. I don't think I will go next year, not with a nursing baby. It almost makes me sad thinking about not going, almost. There is a lot of work that goes into preparing for camp.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i am so sad i missed it, but so glad you were our camp director agian. you did such an awesome job!!! thanks!
It looks like you did such an awesome job. I bet the girls just loved it! I don't blame your for not wanting to do it next year with a nursing baby... I wouldn't! :) I'm glad everyone came back safe. Last year was just devastating. I can't even imagine how hard that must have been for everyone that was there.
Post a Comment