Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day #4 Mazatlan, Mexico

We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day when we arrived at Mazatlan.  The tempature was comfortable, the sun was shining, and big white clouds were in the sky!  I was a happy camper!  Because it was such a nice day, we decided to get kayacks and row across the ocean to Deer Island.  Carie and Dustin got to relax on this sail boat type thing (I can't remember what they are called.) while the rest of us rowed across.  There was a couple from their ward that joined us today.  We hung out all day on the beach.  We were given snorkeling gear, so we took turns using them.  The water was a little too cold for me to get all the way wet, plus I had enough salt water in my eyes from yesterday's adventure to know I didn't want to do that again.  Mel found this shell while he was snorkeling.  He wanted to bring it home, but something was still alive in it.  He had to throw it back in.  Carie and I made sand creatures.  Carie's was a dolphin and mine was Jabba the Hut.  Don't laugh at me if I have that name wrong, I'm not a Star Wars fan.  We hiked to the top of the island.  The view was amazing.  One side was city as far as you could see, the other side was ocean as far as you could see. 
We called the kids today to see how things were going.  Mel was feeling bad that we had left them for a week.  He said that it's way too long.  Before we left on our trip I asked the kids if they wanted us to bring them some Mexican sand.  They said, "Yes."  Then Dalton says he wanted a Mexican flag.  Then he says he wanted a sombrero.  Then he says he wanted a paso.  We brought home 2 of the 4 things.  Sand was one of them!  I thought I would get in trouble for bringing it home, because there was a questionair you had to feel out in order to leave the ship.  One question was about bringing soil to the US.  I wasn't bringing soil home, so I thought I was ok.
  We grabbed some lunch before we headed back to the ship.  They served "pork and beans" as a side with our tacos we ordered.  It was cut up hot dogs in bean soup.  Not so yummy.  I have to say I wasn't very impressed with the Mexican food at that place.  I had better Mexican in the States!

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

these look great. the photos I mean! I love that one sitting in the sand. oh, how i crave a warm soak in the summer sun...

Anne of Green Barlows said...

What a fun trip! It makes me really want to go to the beach and be warm and eat random food...I am so glad that you guys got to go and have a great time!