Monday, November 16, 2009

Preschool field trip to the fire station

Preston's preschool went on a field trip to the fire station. They needed help with rides, so I volunteered. Alee and my nephew, Will came along, too. They watched a video about fire safety. Then they went outside to check out the rescue fire truck and the ambulance. They couldn't go in the big fire truck because water was all over the cement which made it very slippery. That was a bummer. The kids really like being able to be in the fire truck to look around. I volunteered to try on the firefighter's equipment (nobody else would do it). It was hot and heavy. I had the oxygen tank on and everything. He wanted the kids to know that firefighters might look scary, but they are there to help them in case of a fire. That is why he wanted a mom to volunteer to put the gear on.
This is the whole group. Well, both classes together. Lori Gubler is his teacher (the one holding the little girl).

Listening to the siren. It was pretty loud. (Will, Preston and Gus. Gus is Preston's buddy.)
Preston has really struggled this year, so far, going to preschool. I switched teachers on him, for no other reason than he would not have the same teachers in school. I have learned my lesson. He liked going to preschool last year. He had a few friends that he knew from church, so that helped him. This year he only knew one little boy. Everyone else was a stranger to him. He didn't like that one bit. When I would drop him off, he would kick and scream and knock things over. By the end of the day, he had a good time, but he wouldn't let me know that. I called his old preschool teacher to see if she had any openings. She did, in the afternoon. We tried that one day. He ended up crying after a few minutes of being there, because he didn't know anybody at all. We went back to the new preschool for a while, then his old teacher calls and says there is an opening in the morning class. He knows several kids in that class, so we tried it out. I left him kicking and screaming again. I was going to make him go to that one, because he was familiar with it. We showed up there the next day and he said to me, "Why are we here? I want to go to Gus' preschool." Since he wanted to go to the new one, I took him. He's been going fine ever since then. Thanks to Gus for being his friend.


3 comments:

Dansie Family said...

gus is a good kid. glad it all worke dout.

Peacocks said...

Hey Cinda your blog is so cute and you are one creative girl! That cake was impressive! I am too busy changing diapers and keeping track of my kids to even think about that kind of fun stuff right now!I have a 5 week old and I am barely functioning, but I am still so glad that you found me on facebook, have you found anyone else from Dixie? My blog is ajpeacock@blogspot.

Jennifer Pfaff said...

What a good Mommy you are to "suit up" for the kids!!