Friday, May 23, 2008

Can't believe it's summer!




Has this year gone by fast, or what? Dalton had his Kindergarten graduation this week. I guess it was just a program, but he did get a diploma. He was so excited about that. He met his first grade teacher on Wednesday, so the last two days it was hard to convince him that he had to finish kindergarten.

So, has the shock set in about the outcome of American Idol? I was hoping for David C. Most Utahans wanted David A. which is understandable. It would have been cool. It was an exciting season. I usually watch the auditions. They make me laugh. I don't know why we started watching the whole season this year. It gave Mel and I something to look forward to, I guess. Sad, I know!

This weather around here has been so weird, lately. Last weekend we took the boat out, this weekend we're bringing out the sweaters. I wasn't quite ready for 100+ degree weather, anyway.

I just finished a book called "Cane River" by Talita Tademy. It was pretty good. It was about slaves in the 1800's. I can't imagine what that would be like. The Masters could do whatever they wanted to the girls and most of them ended up pregnant by 14 years old. The family bond (the slave families) was so strong. One quote I liked from the book was, "How can I have so little, but lose so much." This slave mother lost her true love, and twin babies in one season. I can't imagine how it would feel to have my spouse or kids sold and taken from me. That would not be cool. If you feel like reading, and you have time, this is a good choice.

2 comments:

Merilee said...

Congrats Dalton! This weather has been really crazy! It definitely doesn't feel like May. We watched American Idol all season too. I was really wanting David Cook to win, but I did think that Archuleta had the better last night. Either way at least they could both sing!

jen said...

I was a David Cook fan all the way. I am glad he won. I will definitely put, "Cane River" on my list of books to read this summer. It sounds really interesting.